KARNATAKA STATE COUNCIL FOR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Karnataka State Spatial Data Infrastructure (KSSDI)
The KSSDI project was sanctioned by the Department of Science & Technology (DST) Government of India (GOI) and Government of Karnataka (GOK) in April 2007.
Karnataka GeoPortal Services:
Karnataka GeoPortal is envisaged to be a centralized single window access mechanism for all spatial data held and acquired by various agencies / line departments of the state. The modules in the Karnataka Geoportal are categorized into
• Map viewer - Web Map Service (WMS),
• Product catalogue/metadata - Catalogue Service on Web (CS-W),
• Services specific service/ feature data sets - Web Feature Service (WFS),
• Simple Applications (Query based decision support)
• Coverage services/images - Web Coverage Service (WCS)
In the first phase,
(i) Geo Portal is developed using the ERDAS Apollo Software, an OGC compliant software having facilities to share the vector and raster datasets through WMS, WFS and WRS web services along with the solutions and products on IBM server platform with storage, backup and retrieval systems and CISCO Networking components and Oracle for RDBMS requirements.
(ii) A state level committee to sensitize various departments/agencies of the government of Karnataka on the concept of SDI and the utility of Geo-portal and clearing house has been set up – this committee is helping the Council to secure the cooperation of the utilization/development of portal.
Progress as on March 2012
• 2nd phase proposal submitted to DST-GOI for providing web services to few departments on Karnataka Geo-portal and implementation latest OGC services. The Council defended the proposal at DST-GOI Expert Committee held during Dec-2011. Expert Committee suggested few modifications to the 2nd phase proposal and is being incorporated in the revised proposal. The Expert Group took note of the operational State Geo-portal as a major input to the current project activities. The Expert Group, DST-GOI recommended organizing the project Steering Committee in Bangalore under the Chairmanship of the Principal Secretary (S&T, IT and BT), Government of Karnataka for discussing a road map for evolution and maintenance of the Karnataka Geo-portal. The 2nd project proposal has been finalised and will be submitted shortly. The proposal is focusing on demonstrating the utility of the Geo-portal and its services in various Geo Spatial application requirements of State Line Departments/Sectors, viz., watershed and education departments. Sectors of Watershed Management and Education were recommended for identification of GIS applications and their implementation with the help of the available Geo-portal.
• Digital data provided by Survey of India has been processed and has been integrated with portal for few sheets. However there are some issues with seamless integration are being looked into for possible corrections.
browsers interfaces needs upgradation and this will be
taken up in 2nd phase. Some of the issues related to
latest version of web browsers are being addressed.
* ~ * ~ *
Progress as on August 2011
The complete Karnataka Geo Portal is developed using the ERDAS Apollo Software, an OGC compliant with facilities to share the vector and raster datasets through WMS, WFS and WRS web services along with the solutions and products from IBM for server hardware, storage, backup and retrieval systems, CISCO for the Networking components and Oracle for RDBMS requirements, respectively. It is a centralised single window access mechanism for all spatial data acquired by various agencies of the state. As per the requirements of the Geoportal, a state‐of‐the‐art data centre has been established as per the specification envisaged in the proposal. All activities towards the establishment of the Data Centre Setup have been completed.
Progress as on March 2010
The complete Karnataka Geo Portal is developed using the ERDAS Apollo Software, an OGC compliant with facilities to share the vector and raster datasets through WMS, WFS and WRS web services along with the solutions and products from IBM for server hardware, storage, backup and retrieval systems, CISCO for the Networking components and Oracle for RDBMS requirements respectively. It is a centralised single window access mechanism for all spatial data acquired by various agencies of the state.
As per the requirements of the Geoportal, a state-of-the-art data centre has been established as per the specification listed in the RFP. All the required components are delivered and installed in the Council. The Council has also installed 2 MBPS Internet Lease Line connectivity from BSNL under this project. All activities towards the establishment of the Data Centre Setup have been completed. The Karnataka Geo-Portal is expected to work without any operational difficulty with the current configuration. Portal developments based on functional, non-functional and usability of the portal is in the final stage. The Council is planning to conduct stake holder conference to formulate spatial data policy for the State.
The Beta version of the Karnataka Geoportal has been released by Prof. P. Balaram, Chairman, Executive Committee of the Karnataka State Council. The KSSDI portal has passed preliminary stage of development and has been released to users during October, 2009 for portal functionality testing. The release allowed the testing of the portal to undergo usability testing with selected users who provided feedback to the project team. Identified malfunctions were rectified. The Council officially launched Karnataka GeoPortal during December, 2009 at the 9th Annual event of National Spatial Data Infrastructure by the Honorable Minister of State for Science and Technology, Government of India, Sri Prithviraj Chavan.
project team is working on improving the usability,
performance, security aspects of the portal. The project
staffs are being trained to handle the data, security,
updation as well as spatial data centre. The training for
the project staff both at district and state level are
planned and is in progress.
Home Page of the GeoPortal
Map Viewer of the GeoPortal
The Data Model for the Underlying Database of Karnataka GeoPortal
|| Current Events
|| People ||
Contact Us || Sitemap
This page was updated on : 10 September 2012 12:34 PM